Friday, October 31, 2014

Autobiography...Sort Of...


            A mediocre, gruesome horror movie based upon a video game once included a very wise phrase nonetheless of its poor cinema work that has embarked into my heart like a carving into a tree: “Mother is God in the eyes of a child”. With the loving smile she shines upon me each blessing of a day, or the loud, anointing scolding reigning from her voice for my wrong doings, my mother is a few of the things in life which I shall never take for granted and for her I strive to live and see my goals being accomplished with her alongside. Whether it is giving me tips to relieving the stress of friendly relationships or having to understand such a conflicted, odd child like I, “mommy” has always been there at my side, right or wrong. For I wish her the riches and blessings she deserves, she is, besides myself,  one of the building factors to the desire for a higher education, success, and nirvana.
            Throughout my schooling experience prior to high school, I assume I have maintained a reputation of ignorance and obnoxiousness (some say I smile too much) through my grade school years and also my junior high years. Although I do look understandably ridiculous sometimes in the way I act, I would like to believe that there is something in my noggin that clicks from time to time. As a child, I was analyzed to be a part of the gifted program at Gardner Street Elementary School and I was able to be accepted into John Burroughs Middle School under its S.A.S branch (School for Advanced Studies). I do not feel as if these names were given to us students as a way to shun others and taunt for a higher status, but I am grateful anyways for being recognized to be a part of the knowledgeable.
            I would like to consider myself an enthusiast for the study in the English and Literature. Although English is not my strongest suit, I believe the class revolves around knowledge and sensibility to what I actually want to learn in life. In my opinion, the only thing that schools have been missing all these years is the strategic method in which paves students’ roads down education through a creative, individual approach to really find oneself. The desire and will to pursue knowledge is an incredible thing and is amazing because its outcomes can be tremendously unreal, but the only way we can pursue these goals is if we what we’re looking for. As a student, I have always wanted to learn to dip into the world of words. The power of words is remarkable because it branches out to multiple characteristics of studies and life; Literature can branch into History to Science to Psychology to Law, etc. With this in mind, I feel as if Literature is something I am willing to do than I am enforced to. Being well rounded is a perfectly satisfactory way to become, overall, developed as a student, but what good are those skills if we weren’t taught to direct them into something we find interesting?

            As a student being a part of the SAS program at John Burroughs Middle School and the gifted program as a child in grade school, becoming a freshman in Fairfax had been an extremely insufficient transition into the steps of adolescence. High school has truly affected the way I think about everything: from life, to family, to the future, back to the past, etc. One of the most significant events in my freshman year and my life is coming to the realization of trying to stop a moving a train. I realized how rapidly fast time has gone: it felt as if just years ago I had been learning my ABCs, but now I was years away from being a young adult, entering the blistering cold world. This thought of independence and seriousness pressed weights down onto my mind; what happens then? With all these lingering thoughts hovering around my noggin, and all the stressed that came along with those thoughts, I was not entirely happy with the school environment. My classes were average and lower than the usual classes I had become used to. Thinking these classes were too easy, I became bored and irritated in why I had not been in other classes, but my mind began to unravel. Stepping into my 6th period class, I am welcomed by a tall, husky Caucasian man with long black hair who just shouted the vibrancy of “Hi, I used to love Heavy Metal!” This man, dressed casually with green shorts and a black T-shirt, had not exactly shown a reputable representation of himself to be a teacher. As time flew by in his classroom, I realized something important in such a cliché situation: “Never judge a book by its cover”. I had mistakenly judged a man for his aesthetics rather than his mind. Mr. Jacovo had made an impact on my life because his unusual thinking and out-of-the-box mindset. He encouraged not only well-structured writing, but a body of work that represented a sense of power and knowledge brought together into one paper. From analyzing contemporary movies to breaking down the corruption in a subliminal text, Mr. Jacovo had been of the most influential teachers I have had since. His humor and dedication of actual teaching became one of the reasons why English, and school itself, has become not a necessity, but a desire for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment